Worldwide countless people claim they have relieved many and diverse effects of illness by means of medical cannabis oil. They even claim to have cured various illnesses such as cancer with cannabis oil.
Extracting the oil from cannabis at home can be quite dangerous if one uses toxic flammable solvents to do so.
However possibly one of the safest, cleanest, most inexpensive kind of medical cannabis oil is cannabis infused coconut oil, which is easy and safe to make.
How to make cannabis infused coconut oil
- High quality whole dried cannabis flowers. If you grow your own cannabis it should be grown organically, no pesticides or fertilizers should be used on the plants, as these will contaminate the oil. Watering should be from a natural water source rather that municipal water as this generally has added chemicals such as fluoride and chlorine.
- Crock pot or slow cooker
- Coconut oil – 1 cup cannabis flowers to 1 cup coconut oil
- Cheesecloth or coffee filters
- Twist ties, rubber bands or string
- Glass jars, canning type with lids
- Small strainer
- Glass baking dish
- Sunflower Lecithin, as an additional binding agent – 1 tablespoon lecithin to 1 cup coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 240 F / 115 C.
- Using your hands, gently but thoroughly break up the cannabis buds, being careful not to grind them to dust.
- Spread the cannabis buds evenly onto the baking dish.
- Bake the cannabis for one hour then remove it from the oven.
- Melt the coconut oil in the crock pot until it becomes liquid.
- Add the baked cannabis and lecithin to the melted coconut oil in the crock pot – the oil in the pot must completely cover the cannabis.
- Gently heat the mixture in the crock pot on the lowest setting for 2 ½ hours, do not allow the oil to smoke, if it smokes the temperature is too hot. Stir slowly and carefully every 10-15 minutes.
- After 2 ½ hours turn the heat off.
- Place the cheesecloth in the strainer and position the strainer over the top of the glass storage jar.
- Then slowly pour the mixture of oil and cannabis into the cheesecloth and strainer.
- Gather the ends of the cheesecloth with this mixture in it and tie it up with the twist ties, rubber bands or string.
- Gently but firmly squeeze or wring the contents of cannabis and oil in the cheesecloth into the jar, being careful not to break the cheesecloth.
- Tightly secure the lid on the jar and store your cannabis infused coconut oil in the refrigerator or in a cool, dry dark place.
By way of a disclaimer, Medical Marijuana Update wishes to make clear to anyone who attempts to make and use cannabis infused coconut oil that they must personally accept full responsibility and accountability for any negative consequences that may result from their making or use of the oil. This includes consequences relating to the possible illegality of the product in their country.